OpticsPlanet, Inc. is seeking a full-time Buyer to manage supplier relationships while focusing on revenue growth and profitability. The ideal candidate will be driven and ready to learn and adapt to a fast-paced ecommerce business model.
When it comes to high-performance technical gear, the most discerning customers choose OpticsPlanet for our unmatched value proposition of great prices, free shipping on most orders, the widest selection (over 1 million products) and excellent customer service (rated A+ by the BBB!) We’re proud of all that – and what makes it possible is that the most talented professionals in the Chicago area choose to work at OpticsPlanet.
OpticsPlanet is a leading internet retailer devoted to the passions and professions of our customers. From hunting or sports shooting to service in the military or law enforcement, we are a destination for millions of people each month. For over fifteen years, we've built a cutting-edge platform that powers ecommerce heavyweights such as OpticsPlanet.com and Dvor.com. We are experiencing a new phase of explosive growth and opportunity, and that means adding more talented and passionate individuals to our existing diverse and professional team. Our casual, fast-paced environment has seen us recognized as one of the "100 Best Companies to Work For" by the Chicago Tribune! In addition to a challenging position, employees at all levels can find extensive opportunities for advancement and career growth, and full-time employees enjoy a popular set of benefits and perks. OpticsPlanet is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain positive and effective relationships with suppliers to ensure reliability and superb levels of service, which includes conducting periodic supplier meetings
- Negotiate with current suppliers for lowest possible cost of finished goods, most advantageous terms, discount structures, rebate and co-op programs
- Develop partner programs with suppliers to increase Optics Planet’s competitiveness within the marketplace
- Serve as a resource for Inventory Analysts who place purchase orders and maintain pricing
- Obtain necessary supplier information in a timely manner and facilitate its flow throughout the applicable internal departments via the established processes
- Maintain supplier and product information in proper databases
- Maintain current information on pricing and promotions
- Work closely with internal departments to achieve company’s sales goals
- Analyze historical trends to draw conclusions on past initiatives and devise strategies for improving sales and inventory quality
- May be required to participate in the research, evaluation and selection of new suppliers
- Additional duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required
- Experience with and demonstrated proficiency with MS Office applications (such as MS Word, MS Excel), email programs, and Internet browsers
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Minimum of two years’ experience in procurement/purchasing of finished goods or other applicable field relating to retail
- Ability to quickly learn new systems and grasp technological concepts
- Ability to work well within a team environment while still achieving individual metric goals is imperative
- Ability to work well under the stress of deadline pressure
- Ability to travel occasionally
- Knowledge of military, tactical, hunting or outdoor gear beneficial
- Positive attitude
- Team player
- Invested in the results
Location - Northbrook
OpticsPlanet, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. OpticsPlanet, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.